Friday, November 2, 2007

After Midnight - by Jenna Lucado

Don’t you just hate it when your parents say the same thing over and over and over? Every time you hear those words again, you may roll your eyes and shake your head, irritated and exasperated by their all-knowing remarks.

At our house, one of those frequently repeated lines was my mom’s infamous remark, “Nothing good happens after midnight.”

Every time I heard it, my lips tightened and I thought what a ridiculous statement it was. What difference does it make what time it is?

I schemed to get around my parents’ curfew rule any way I knew how so that I could experience those after-midnight hours with my friends. It was exciting to be out so late. Some of the best parties didn’t start until 11 p.m., and even then, my friends and I wanted to dramatize our entrance by showing up as late as we could.

I never thought Mom’s nagging words would ever prove true until I started noticing something eerie. As the night goes on, everything gets darker. Sure, physically, the night blackens and your vision weakens, but have you ever noticed that mentally, your thoughts darken and spiritually, your morals loosen? Alcohol seems less dangerous; a boyfriend’s pressures seem more justified. Inhibitions leave . . .

It wasn’t until after midnight that I meddled with alcohol. It wasn’t until after midnight that we trashed the front lawns of ex-boyfriends. It wasn’t until after midnight that I noticed myself acting like someone I was not. I avoided my parents more. But as Mom’s words kept echoing through my head, I felt ashamed of my new nighttime identity.

Eventually I confessed what I had done. As a result, privileges were lost, and repayment was arranged. But through it all, Dad told me the same thing over and over again: “Jenna,” he said, “there is nothing you can do that will make us love you any more or any less.”

Funny. That’s the same thing our Father in heaven says over and over. And I don’t know about you, but I never, ever get tired of hearing those words.

5 comments:

rosiecheeks said...

Thank you for your encouragement! Although, I as a 12 year old hang out after 12:00 a.m. and it's just fine because we have responsible supervision by an adult, and we are responsible young teen christian girls, so for those whom feel bad for hanging out late, dont unless you are disobeying your parents consent.. thankss!! <3

rosiecheeks said...

Thank you for your encouragement! Although, I as a 12 year old hang out after 12:00 a.m. and it's just fine because we have responsible supervision by an adult, and we are responsible young teen christian girls, so for those whom feel bad for hanging out late, dont unless you are disobeying your parents consent.. thankss!! <3

Unknown said...

hey. That is so true! I mean seriously! If only everyone could see that without having to go and actually do it. I am 13 and am not quite there... (I am kinda an early bird) but thats an awsome lesson to learn!

Unknown said...

hey Jenna thanks you for the advice but I just wanted to say that I hate my parents curfus i am 19 and i have to be home by nine i think that i should have later curfus what did u do about ur cufus how did u deal with them got any advice on this

Sarah said...

After midnight good things can happen if you are with good people in good places. Even with strange people in strange places. 2 AM has found me with some of the most intense, eye-opening conversations about God and life and how to face this world that I have ever had.